3 Top Tips for Better Posture
Proper posture is a must for people of all ages. The benefits of good posture are well documented and include increased confidence, easier breathing, and a reduced risk of injury. But as we age, maintaining a healthy posture becomes more difficult if we stray from a healthy and active lifestyle.
To help improve your posture, follow these top three tips!
Do the Right Exercises
Back pain is an everyday occurrence for millions of Americans, but it doesn’t have to be for most people. Doing the right exercises regularly strengthens core muscles, improves your posture, and can reduce back pain.
One such exercise is called a “wall tilt.” Begin by standing with your backside pressed against a wall. Next, place one hand on your lower back, pull your abdomen in, and tuck your pelvis. The goal is to flatten your lower back.
Wall tilts are just one example of the dozens of simple exercises you can do to improve your posture. Consider working with a physical therapist who will introduce you to non-strenuous movements to enhance your core.
Watch Your Weight
Being overweight affects your posture. Your muscles can only do so much to support extra weight before gravity pulls your posture into a compromised position. So, if you have to bend your spine and joints in unusual ways to carry the excess weight around, it's time to change things up.
We understand maintaining a healthy weight can be difficult. But making small changes in your diet can go a long way. Reducing sugar intake while increasing the consumption of foods rich in vitamins that support strong bone health is a great place to start. A nutritionist is an excellent way to learn about proper nourishment and help guide you toward a healthier diet.
Sleep Like a Pro
Do you wake up in the morning feeling achy all over? This might mean that you need to sleep in a different position. If you rest on your side, make it a point to bend your knees while keeping your back straight. Put a pillow or towel between your knees to ease pressure on your hips. Aside from reducing sleep apnea symptoms, this position will prevent neck and back pain.
Sleeping in the correct position is half of the equation. You also want to ensure you are getting quality sleep. Most individuals should get between 7 to 9 hours of shut-eye a night. Additionally, make sure where you sleep is comfortable and quiet to get the most out of your evening rest.
Plenty of exercise, a healthy diet, and a good night's sleep will help you significantly improve your posture and health!
- Self-care tips for December
- Mastering the Mind: Techniques for Better Memory and Cognitive Function
- The Art of Productive Procrastination: How to Make the Most of Downtime
- Eating for Energy: Foods that Boost Your Stamina and Productivity
- How to enjoy and celebrate chilly, gloomy days
- Thriving in Your Golden Years: Strategies for Aging Gracefully and Vibrantly
- Best Dog Breeds that Suit Your Needs
- Reduce Stress: Develop Patience
- DIY Delights: Creative Projects for Seniors
- Coping with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Long-term Health Benefits of Physical Activity
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- Best foods for hydration
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How to Improve Your Health: The 5 Main Aspects of Wellness
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- Are you underinsured for your circumstances?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- How to Maintain Our Body
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- The Body After 60: Overcoming Barriers to Exercise
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Foods you had no idea you could freeze
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Medicare and Medicaid: Dual eligibility
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- What’s Keeping You from Losing Weight?
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- Your NEW Social Security Statement
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Smart Home Systems: Promoting a Comfortable Environment for Seniors
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here's what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year's Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- When the Sun is NOT Your Friend (What You Need to Know about Sun Exposure)
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- How Does Inflation Affect Life Insurance?
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- What Are Alternatives if LTC isn't Right for You?
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- I’m 50 Years Old. Should I Keep My Life Insurance?
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Buying a Life Insurance Policy
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- 3 Incredible Healthcare Smart Technologies Coming Your Way